The origins of the Eurometropolis
The Lille-Kortrijk-Tournai Eurometropolis is the culmination of two decades of discussions and actions.
- 1991: creation of the Standing Inter-Communal Cross-Border Conference (COPIT). For some ten years, this body provided a forum for debates and exchanges, allowing cross-border issues to be better understood and cooperation projects or initiatives to be brought to the table.
- June 2003: COPIT adoption of a priority operational programme.
- 16 September 2002: signing of the Franco-Belgian agreement on cross-border cooperation between local authorities and public bodies by the French and Belgian Prime Ministers.
- 18 December 2003: formation of a Franco-Belgian parliamentary working group.
- 10 November 2005: setting up of a Franco-Belgian parliamentary working group in charge of identifying cross-border problems and coming up with recommendations to develop cross-border cooperation between France and Belgium. This study forms the basis of the Eurometropolis project.
- 5 July 2006: Creation of the EGTC (European Grouping of Territorial Cooperation) statute at European level. This statute was chosen for the creation of the Eurometropolis.
- 28 November 2006: First meeting of the Eurometropolis founding committee and setting up of a technical group in charge of preparing the convention and statutes of the future European grouping, to be known as the Lille-Kortrijk-Tournai Eurometropolis.
- 19 March 2007: submission of the conclusions of the Franco-Belgian parliamentary working group to the governments of the two countries. Second meeting of the Eurometropolis founding committee and signing of the "Declaration of intent for the creation of the Lille-Kortrijk-Tournai Eurometropolis" by the 14 founding members.
- 2 July 2007: third meeting of the Eurometropolis founding committee, at which the Eurometropolis convention and statutes are validated by the 14 partners' deliberative bodies. Nomination of the members of the future Assembly.
- 22 January 2008: creation of the Lille-Kortrijk-Tournai Eurometropolis by French prefectoral order.
- 28 January 2008: First founding Assembly of Lille-Kortrijk-Tournai Eurometropolis in Kortrijk. Election of the president, Pierre Mauroy, the three vice-presidents and the Board. One month later, the first board meeting is held.