On 4 July 2014, the assembly of the Eurometropolis Lille-Kortrijk-Tournai held its annual meeting with a view to electing a new president. Damien Castelain, president of Lille Métropole, will succeed Vincent Van Quickenborne, Mayor of Kortrijk.
The appointed vice-presidents are the mayors of the three largest cities of the Eurometropolis: Martine Aubry for the French subregion, Vincent Van Quickenborne for the Flemish subregion and Rudy Demotte for the Walloon subregion.
Aged 46, Damien Castelain has been the mayor of Péronne-en-Mélantois, a municipality of 900 inhabitants, since 1998. Trained as a geographer, he took up politics because of his passion for “urban development and urbanism”. Between 2008 and 2014 he was also the first vice-president responsible for urban ecology under Martine Aubry.
His ambitions for his term of office as President of the Eurometropolis Lille-Kortrijk-Tournai are the following:
- to create a Eurometropolis that listens to its inhabitants, its municipalities and its businesses. Within this context he supported Euro 3, the actions and impact in the Eurometropolitan region of which were presented by Philippe Hourdain, President of the CCI Grand Lille.
- to concretize the 2014-2020 strategy of the Eurometropolis in line with the European strategies and the funds available for the different programmes.
- to develop the status of the cross-border worker and the Eurometropolitan House of the cross-border worker.
- the participation of the Eurometropolis in Expo Milano 2015, “Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life”.
- closer relations with other European metropolises